Monday 26 May 2014

An Open Letter to Sadiq Khan




I know that you are bricking yourself after the Euro results. You are worried that Ed's not going to get into office, and that you're not going to get that red box you've always dreamed about. 

I understand that and I feel sorry for you.

We've all made mistakes in the past. I know I have.

I myself haven't put nearly enough effort into denouncing you and your friends for having sold out the labour movement to capital and for risking Labour's electoral fortunes by being generally useless.

But we can move on from our mistakes.

I can get better at denouncing you. And you can get better at not pandering to racists.

You say, to the working class voter imagined by your public school educated Progress intern with a bad sociology degree, that "immigration has driven down local wages."

I think I know what you mean. And I'm all for talking about immigration. I said so earlier.

But you know what? The only people who can 'drive' down wages are bosses. You can do something about that: you can support a statutory living wage. 

You can unshackle trade unions from Thatcher-era legislation. You can publicly talk about how racism is used to divide us, to the detrminent of everyone's pay-packet.

You're also talking about overseas people claiming Child Benefit and about kids in schools not being able to speak English.

Nobody else is doing that. Except the far Right. 

And there's absolutely no evidence that these are genuine, real, things in the world.

Please stop doing this.

Oh, and please start writing in paragraphs. We all mistakes, yadayada, but you just look stupid.


-----------

Original here


No comments:

Post a Comment